'NoneType' object has no attribute 'LJUSB_OpenDevice' ; LJ UE9, Python 2.7.1 Mac OSX | LabJack

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'LJUSB_OpenDevice' ; LJ UE9, Python 2.7.1 Mac OSX

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
PancakeMSTR
PancakeMSTR's picture
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'LJUSB_OpenDevice' ; LJ UE9, Python 2.7.1 Mac OSX

Hi, 

I'm trying to get a labjack UE9 to work on my macbook, but I seem to not even be able to get the thing to open. I don't know how to fix this problem (obviously). 

Here's what I've done 

- Since I'm OSX, python 2.7.1 is installed. I work with python through ipython. 

- I've installed exodriver, I think, nothing went obviously wrong installing it but I also don't know how to verify the installation. 

- Downloaded the 5-26-15 release of labjack python. Installed with sudo python setup.py install. Again, nothing went obviously wrong but I also don't know how to verify the installation either. 

I then made a very, very simple python file which contained the following 

line 1: import ue9

line 2: d = ue9.UE9()

The first line doesn't throw an error - i.e. it seems to be imporrting ue9 with no problem. However, the second line leads to the following error ': AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'LJUSB_OpenDevice'' 

I don't know how to fix this? Would really appreciate some help here thank you. Let me know if anything is unclear. 

LabJack Support
labjack support's picture
The NoneType error for LJUSB

The NoneType error for LJUSB_OpenDevice indicates that function couldn't be found. That function is provided by the Exodriver which is installed to /usr/local/lib/ and is the liblabjackusb.dylib file.

Take a look at our response in this forum topic regarding permissions as it may help your issue (it will apply to the UE9 as well):

https://labjack.com/forums/u3/new-user-need-help-getting-started

If permissions look fine, try the latest LabJackPython version from GitHub which has a Mac update for loading the Exodriver:

https://github.com/labjack/LabJackPython